Carrot Cake

I have to admit, the first time I heard about carrot cake, I was a bit suspicious ... I told myself: "Mmmh ... a cake with carrots ... it seems like a trick invented by parents to make their kids eat their veggies!".  But I tried anyway, and I was deliciously surprised, and now it's one of my favorite desserts!  So, it is really my pleasure to share this recipe with you.


This recipe is for 4 to 6 people, depending on your weakness for sweet things, so feel free to adjust the quantities as you see fit.

You will need the following ingredients:

For the batter:
  • 1/2 cup of brown sugar
  • One egg
  • 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • Nutmeg and/or cinnamon (optional) (I added a bit of nutmeg in this recipe)
  • 1/2 cup of flour
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • A pinch of salt
  • 2 cups of carrots
For the icing:
  • 2 tablespoons of soften butter
  • 1/4 cup of soften cream cheese
  • 1 cup of icing sugar

Preparation time: 25-30 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes
Resting time for the frosting: 30 minutes


Start by pre-heating your oven at 175 C (350 F).

In a bowl, add the brown sugar, the egg, the oil, and the vanilla extract.


Mix the ingredients together.


Add the nutmeg and mix together.


Add the flour, the baking powder, and the salt.


Mix together.


Peel and grate the carrots.


Add the grated carrots to the batter, and mix.


Pour into your greased baking mold.


Bake the cake for about 30 minutes.

Let you cake cool down for about 10-15 minutes and remove it from the mold.


Now you can get cracking on your icing.
In a bowl, add the soften butter, the soften cream cheese, and the icing sugar, and mix them together.


Mix until you obtain a smooth and silky batter.


Spread the frosting on the cake.  I didn't have my icing knife with me, so I applied the frosting with a silicon spatula which isn't too bad, but honestly the icing knife does a much better job!


Yes, making frosting is as easy as that!


Place the cake in the fridge for a bit (about 30 minutes) to let the frosting gets firm ... and enjoy!



As with all the other recipes we put on this site, this is meant to be easy to follow. We are hobby chefs who love to cook, and we are always up for learning new techniques. If you know of anything in this recipe which can be done a different way, whether for increased ease of preparation or better taste, please add a comment below!

Whipped up by Charline Leblond

No comments:

Post a Comment